UFL2

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UFL2

Ultimate Football League 2.0 is a PS3 Madden League.

+5
jp_0988
frankhateme
Wushock23
CHUNKNESS
Sway
9 posters

Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks

Sway
    Sway
    Admin

Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks Empty Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks

Post by Sway Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Thought I would get some sort of discussion going on this. I was just thinking about this the other day when another owner brought up our UFL Bowl Champion having 3 1st round draft picks the following season. That obviously doesn't happen in the real leagues and in my opinion shouldn't be allowed.

I'm thinking anyone who makes it to the division round (4 wildcard winners and 4 bye teams) cannot pick in the Top 10 as well as not having more than 2 first round picks.

Just thinking out loud, what do you guys think?
    CHUNKNESS
    CHUNKNESS

Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks Empty Re: Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks

Post by CHUNKNESS Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm

I know I'm new to the league, but thought I'd let you know I support this. Limiting Divisional playoff teams (or better) to 11th selection and beyond is going to be difficult to manage from a commish standpoint, though, isn't it? Often times guys will acquire picks before draft positions are known. So some Divisional teams and beyond may have acquired a top 10 pick w/out knowledge that they would make the divisional round and/or that the sender was going to be in the top 10. Therefore, the Divisional team would need to trade down or let the top 10 selection go unsigned which wouldn't necessarily be fair to them. What would be the recourse in that situation? Buyer beware? Bump the Divisional playoff team (or better) down to the 11th selection and every team between their selection and the 10th selection bump up one spot? Just thinking aloud with you...
    Sway
    Sway
    Admin

Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks Empty Re: Top Tier Owners trading for draft picks

Post by Sway Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:46 pm

how did I know you'd be the first to respond Doug Very Happy

We don't allow for future picks to be traded, the only time teams can trade for picks is a short time after the post season and before the draft, thus it wouldn't be hard to manage at all, because the top 8 teams would be decided.

I do thank you for chiming in as I appreciate any discussion esp from another commish.
    CHUNKNESS
    CHUNKNESS

Post by CHUNKNESS Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

LOL, you know it. Wink

That's perfect then. I completely agree with limiting the top playoff teams and their first round picks. I'd even limit them to one, but that's me...
    Wushock23
    Wushock23

Post by Wushock23 Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Im good with this, although i will never have this issue, as im always in the top 10 anyways lol
    frankhateme
    frankhateme

Post by frankhateme Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm fine with it either way. If a guy gives up fair value for the pick, then I don't see a problem. I'm more concerned with trades that are lop sided.
    jp_0988
    jp_0988

Post by jp_0988 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:24 pm

I like the concept and understand why, but if I remember, I think it was Tippin who had 3 first rounder, I think he did gave up quite significantly for these. He either did a great job at dealing or some of the trade were lopsided, I don't remember the exact trades. I'm a little with Frankatheme here, as long as the trade isn't lopsided I think it would be ok. But in all fairness, to acquire a first round pick or a Top 10 pick, you'd have to give up a pretty good player, which in M12 might not happen anyway because of the list of untouchable players. For this year's Madden, I think it's too late to impose something like this.
    Jackhammerrabbit

Post by Jackhammerrabbit Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 am

My stance on this would be not to have that rule in place. Trading for picks should be available to all teams, but the things that should prevent a division/superbowl winner getting 1st rounders are the trades itself.

If I recall correctly, I believe Tippin traded Leon Hall and Keith Rivers in two separate deals to acquire two top 10 picks. Im just pissed teams would actually trade their 1st rounders to the reigning superbowl champ, but I did not have issues with the deal itself. Leon Hall was an 85+ CB at the time although slow and Rivers was I think an 89 at the time and now a 92 rated LB..These trades made sense...

How would you monitor top teams from getting 1st rounders? Well assigning a value to 1st rounders/2nd rounders. For example:

** A top 15 1st rounder should cost a team at least an 85 rated player that is not an OL, P, K, FB...
    ** A 15-30 pick in the 1st round should be at least an 80 that is not the above mentioned positions

or

Limit the amount of players or picks in a trade. So no more of these 4 for 4 players in a deal.

Realistically it should be:

Nnamid asomugha

for

1st round pick
    2nd round pick

Something like that...

Not the :

Nnamdi Aso
    Kevin Colb
    1st rounder
    2nd rounder
    3rd rounder

for

Chris Robinson
    Earl Thomas
    Golden Tate
    1st rounder
    2nd rounder...

Trades like these are BS..

So you can trade a player for no more than two picks and limit the amount of trading pieces in each trade. I think a rule like this can be set in stone and easily followed...

Set franchise players that cant be traded, rookies drafted in the 1st and 2nd round can not be traded until after two full seasons...

Add a trade committee!

I think these things will prevent bs blockbuster trades from those GMs that enjoy trading(gutting) in the offseason and then disappearing or leaving the league after their teams continue to lose. I just do not agree with teams being active in the offseason and just fall off in the regular season. Who would of thought mikey would leave the league and then Mark leaving at the same time? Mark traded cotton and said we should be comfortable even though it was an odd trade, but because he wasnt leaving the league and guess what?? Yes we are at the time of year where the interest for madden dies down ,but the problem is this has been happening since madden 11 came out in August. What is the excuse back in November?

Went a little farther than I should of, but I think it needs to be said...

CeeGee
    CeeGee

Post by CeeGee Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:26 am

Jack...

I agree, although I will say, maybe not allowing 2nd rounders to be moved for 2 full years might be a little much... The 1st rounders makes sense, but not the 2nd imo...

Just another quick question, how many "franchise" guys are each team going to have? For example, if I have the Colts next year... Obviously, Peyton Manning, and Dwight Freeney, but who else? Wayne? Clark? Mathis?

Also, (I'm playing Devils Advocat here:)) I think this is a really sticky subject, because, If I have an ELITE (95+) veteran that still has 3 or 4 solid seasons left, why wouldn't I be able to deal him to someone that doesn't want to wait around for a rookie to develope? The fact is, in real life, IE - NE Patriots, dump their older verterans for 1st round picks all the time (ie- Richard Seymore). The deal works out for both teams because the Raiders get a legit Pro Bowl D-Lineman for 3 or 4 years, while the Pats get younger and are able to develope a new player.

The main problem I think is that these Madden created rookies are GAMECHANGERS... Look at Mike Lincoln, 78ovr, but clearly plays way above his overall rating. I wouldn't deal him for Two 1st rounders... Someone that deals a CB that is Old, and getting slow, like >90 speed, can steal a Rookie, 73ovr CB with 98spd in the draft...

Like I said, its sticky...

Either way, I'm with you 100% whatever you want to do. I don't like seeing the same people that consistently making the playoffs with top 10 picks the next year either, however, I can see both sides of the argument.
    Jackhammerrabbit

Post by Jackhammerrabbit Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:54 am

I think there should be one offense and one defense franchise guy on each team. Perhaps have an age limitation where you shouldnt be able to make a dude like 38 yrs old a franchise guy...

CG, I understand where you are coming from, but as we know, developing rookies means nothing. If you have an elite 95+ veteran on your team with 4 or 5 years left, the question is "Why would you want to trade that player?" The obvious answer is what you said in your next paragraph. Rookies are Game Changers as they do not have to be great overall, but can be very effective as long as certain attributes are high. The reason why you would want to trade a veteran player with 4 or 5 years left is because you know those game changing rookies are more valuable than a highly overall rated veteran. Do i want a 95 MLB with 75 spd 10 - yr vet or a 75 rated MLB with 95 spd rookie? Most often than not, probably that 95 spd rookie that sucks at everything else.

Due to the fact we live in a madden world where so many people like to put on their fake GM hats and pretend they are running a real franchise, certain owners like to wheel and deal with no consequence.

You could argue that your veteran at 95+ rating is in a position that you may not value as much as others. What that means is I am going to trade my 90 rated DT, OL, RE, RB with 88 spd veteran for lower rated rookies at the CBS, RBs, LBS, and WRs position that are all fast. Then you are going to draft DEs that are rated 65 with 85 spd. In madden, developing rookies does not matter...

As we have seen already, some owners that we didnt think would leave going back to some of the vets in the league, they are gone after making some big deals. There was a big debate last off season from some of the newer owners not being allowed to trade some players right away and there was some resistance. With recent departures, I hope there will be a better understanding on why we have such provisions on new owners.

GoCardsGo
    GoCardsGo
    Admin

Post by GoCardsGo Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:51 am

Just saw this and thought I'd chime in.

I don't blame for a second top tier teams acquiring multiple first round picks. Instead maybe we should look at the teams dealing with them. I don't see anything wrong with it by the way.

A real life example could be the Patriots, who for example traded DE Richard Seymour to the Raiders for their 1st round pick, thus having multiple first round selections.

I believe Jack brought up the Tippin trades in which he did deal some really solid players who were maybe not working into his scheme or something along those lines. It's up to the teams to figure out what they wanna do.
    Rorbotron
    Rorbotron

Post by Rorbotron Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:04 am

Sway wrote:Thought I would get some sort of discussion going on this. I was just thinking about this the other day when another owner brought up our UFL Bowl Champion having 3 1st round draft picks the following season. That obviously doesn't happen in the real leagues and in my opinion shouldn't be allowed.

I'm thinking anyone who makes it to the division round (4 wildcard winners and 4 bye teams) cannot pick in the Top 10 as well as not having more than 2 first round picks.

Just thinking out loud, what do you guys think?

I absolutely despise the New England Patriots as a Diehard Steeler fan but they do this type of thing year in and year out. It's one of the reasons why Bellicheat is regarded as the best in the NFL. I personally have no problem with top tier owners trading for whatever as long as the trade was fair and thought out. The process we use in this league ensures that so I personally don't believe a additional restriction is necessary or needed. It does happen in the NFL. It's about being a savvy franchise/owner/coach.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:23 pm